Advances in Health Care Management – Volume 19
Advances in Health Care Management (AHCM) is an annual research publication. Contributions are double-blind peer reviewed and are indexed by MEDLINE and Scopus.
AHCM began as a research annual, first publishing in 2000. As conceived by the founding editors – John D. Blair, Myron D. Fottler, and Grant T. Savage – the series provides a forum for leading research on healthcare management. For each annual edition, the editors and the board seek to identify current and pressing issues in the field. The 2020 issue will focus on price, efficiency, and profitability in health care. Submissions are currently being accepted for that issue.
AHCM publishes research on all types of healthcare services and healthcare-related organizations, so long as it focuses on questions of interest to the broad discipline of management. We invite interested scholars to contact the editor to propose themed volumes and to serve as volume editors.
The deadline for précis submissions is August 15, 2019. Please email your one page précis to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Recent policy changes, including the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (2010), have renewed attention on price transparency and efficiency in health care organizations. Value-Based Purchasing makes it imperative for health care organizations to be efficient and utilize the minimum level of resources to deliver effective and patient-centered care. While efficiency has become a goal for many health care organizations that are struggling to generate positive operating margins, legislators and policymakers are also targeting price and quality transparency. A recent U.S. executive order requires health care organizations to provide price and quality information to patients so they can make informed decisions. Advances in Health Care Management seeks scholarship that will help to clarify our understanding of price, efficiency, and profitability in the health care industry. This includes empirical studies, literature reviews, conceptual frameworks, case explorations, and discussions of policies and implications. Examples include:
- an exploration of approaches to measuring efficiency/productivity in health care;
- policy analysis of the impact of the ACA, President Trump’s executive order, or other national or state policies on health care prices;
- an examination of efforts from across the health care sector to simultaneously manage costs and risks (e.g., via bundling);
- a look at the relationship between efficiency and profitability in health care organizations;
- research on efficiency and productivity from other sectors of the economy and the potential they offer for reframing our understanding of how we might intervene within health care;
- a presentation of how cost-effectiveness analysis can be utilized to determine efficiency in a health care system; and
- an inquiry that considers balancing concerns of efficiency in health care with the aims of quality, access, and patient experience.
The précis is simply a proposal outlining the topic to allow the editors to assess whether a particular paper might be appropriate for this volume.
- August 15, 2019: one-page précis (e.g., outline or summary) due
- September 15, 2019: Invited manuscripts due
- October 15, 2019: Reviews returned to authors
- November 15, 2019: Revised final manuscripts due
- December 15, 2019: Final decisions
- August 15, 2020: AHCM Price volume published